UPDATE: I have heard back from Disney Infinity to clarify some of the dates in the schedule.
Toy Boxes will indeed be available to download until March 3rd (for console, windows store, and Apple TV versions.
In addition, the Steam version of Disney Infinity will continue past the shutdown dates, like the console version. Obviously online services and community features will still be discontinued.
Finally, as expected, the text editor for the Toy Box artists will not be functional after March 3rd, as it relies on a server connection as well.
Disney Interactive has finally made a timetable available for when the Disney Infinity servers will shut down. Here are the dates you need to mark on your calendar announced this morning:
Since announcing the discontinuation of production on Disney Infinity, the team has been exploring timelines for the closure of the game’s online versions and community features. The goal has been to offer extended access to these services, while also providing clear communication about what players can expect. It’s important to note that:
- The console versions of Disney Infinity will continue to operate as usual with full access to figures and play sets only with the exception of community content features and online multiplayer
- Until September 30, 2016, Community Content will still be available and players will be able to upload and download any of their favorite Toy Box creations [EDITOR’S NOTE: You should be able to download until March 3rd, as they say in a later bullet point. I will seek to clarify]
As of today (July 29, 2016):
- No in-game purchases can be made within the PC, Steam version of Disney Infinity 2.0, iOS, Google Android, Amazon Android and Apple TV versions of the game as this feature has now been removed
- Players can continue to make in-game purchases within the Steam version of Disney Infinity 3.0.
As of September 30, 2016:
- Players will no longer be able to log in to play the PC, iOS, Google Android and Amazon Android versions of Disney Infinity. These will no longer be available on the respective app stores
- The Steam versions of Disney Infinity 2.0 & 3.0 will remain operational with the exception of all online services and community features as these will be discontinued
- Apple TV versions of Disney Infinity will be removed from the App Store
- The Disney Infinity Community team will no longer be reviewing or approving any new Toy Boxes that are submitted to Disney for all console, mobile and PC versions of the game. However, when playing on any console, Apple TV or Windows 8/10 versions of the game, players can continue to download their favorite Toy Boxes from the Community Content section until March 3, 2017
As of January 3, 2017
- No in-game purchases can be made within the Windows 8/10 versions of the game as this feature will be removed
As of March 3, 2017
- Apple TV and Windows 8/10 versions will no longer be available, supported or playable
- All Disney Infinity online services and community features for all versions will be discontinued
To learn more about which services of Disney Infinity are being removed or information related to each game version, visit the Closing FAQs located here http://help.disney.com/Disney-Infinity for additional information.
The Disney Infinity website will continue to be updated frequently prior to March 3, 2017 to provide the Disney Infinity community with news and status of the game across all platforms should the status change.
For those of you on PC who are confused, remember there are various versions of Disney Infinity out on PC. There is the “direct download” option from their website, as well as the version in the Steam Store, and the Windows Store.
So it sounds like to me, which hopefully we can get clarification on, the Steam version will continue to work past the March 3rd date?
If you have the direct download PC edition from the Disney Infinity website, you will not be able to play starting September 30th.
If you have the “Windows Store” (aka the Windows 8/10) version, you will not be able to play beginning March 3rd.
If you have the version downloaded on Steam, perhaps you may be able to play beyond those dates? Though I’d imagine it would be turned off on March 3rd as well.
Hopefully this will become clearer in the future.
For console players, remember the server shutdown does not affect your ability to play the game. You will not be able to play online or download community content at the different dates you see above, but you will ALWAYS be able to play the game fully.
All patches, updates, etc. are stored on the first party servers (Microsoft, Sony, etc.) so the Disney Interactive shutdown does not affect you getting that content.--------------
Have you followed me on Facebook, Twitter, or YouTube yet? I’ll keep you up to speed on all the latest Disney Infinity news!
Don’t forget to come hang out and discuss all things Disney Infinity with thousands of other Disney Infinity Fans at DisneyInfinityFans.com!
Be sure to check out my weekly podcast, The Toys For Games ‘Cast. Talk all things in ‘Toys To Life’ genre!